san diego pharmacist license defense lawyers
Becoming a pharmacist is a long process. It requires years of schooling and experience working in a pharmacy, and it also requires substantial financial investment. It’s not inexpensive to attend school to become a pharmacist, and that’s why they are paid so well. Those who choose to go into business to become a pharmacist do so in hopes of securing a comfortable future for their family. They don’t go into business as a pharmacist to lose their license and inability to work when someone filed a complaint that might cause them to lose their license.
When an investigation is opened against a pharmacist, it’s imperative you hire an experienced attorney with ample experience defending the licensure of pharmacists and other pharmacy professionals with a state license. When Board of Pharmacies in any state open an investigation, there are a few things that happen. The first is notification. The pharmacist being investigated is notified of the investigation, and they are given a copy of the complaint filed. At this point, it’s imperative an attorney drafts an appropriate response to the allegations to present to the board. The most common reasons pharmacists are investigated include the following.
– Drug Use – When someone who works with a pharmacist in any capacity feels the pharmacist is using and/or abusing drugs, they are free to file a complaint whether the pharmacist uses illegal drugs or prescription drugs at work or at home.
– Alcohol Abuse – There is no law specifying pharmacists must abstain from alcohol at all times. They’re free to do what they want when they are in the privacy of their own home. However, they are not permitted to use alcohol or show up to work drunk at any point.
– Improper Prescription Filling – Mistakes happen, and no one can blame anyone for that. However, when a pharmacist is accused of improperly filling prescriptions, it’s a problem. Whether they were just distracted and misread a prescription or they were deliberately filling an improper prescription for a friend or loved one, it’s illegal.
– Over-Prescription – Another common complaint is in line with drug dealing. When a client enters a pharmacy and the pharmacist gives him or her too much of the drug he or she was prescribed, it’s a form of drug dealing.
– Inadequate Record Keeping – For various reasons, it’s imperative a pharmacist keeps impeccable records. Not doing so does put the client’s lives at risk.
– Fraudulent Insurance Billing – Pharmacists are required to handle insurance for their patients, and it becomes necessary for them to handle several billing issues. When they send in misinformation or over-charge for specific procedures, it becomes a problem.
Anyone who witnesses or suspects this kind of misconduct of any sort is required to report it to the state board of pharmacists. Not doing so is illegal, and it’s a form of assisting the pharmacist in question. Anyone can file a complaint with the state, from a customer to a coworker to a medical billing agency.
Once charges are filed, an investigation is open. Even when an attorney is hired and a response is sent in, investigators are legally bound to do their part. They’re looking for specific evidence to prove the allegations are true and the accuser’s claims have a basis for suspension or revocation of a license. In many cases, even if the pharmacist is found guilty, they’re not necessarily going to lose their license. Some judges are more lenient than others and provide a second chance, particularly if the incident that occurred with a mistake of some sort or if the pharmacist agrees to seek medical attention for an addiction.
The entire future of a pharmacist and his family is at stake when an investigation is opened, and an attorney with experience is able to handle issues like this with ease. Let an attorney help you keep your license if you are accused of any misconduct in the office. License suspension and revocation is not something any professional wants handled lightly. The state doesn’t make amendments when a license is revoked, which is why it’s imperative you handle this now.